Chinese New Year 2024 begins on February 10 and lasts for 16 days. During the important festival, which is celebrated not only in China but also in many Western cities, there is a significant increase in buying interest among customers. Here are some tips and strategies on how retailers can use the potential of this holiday to increase their sales.
Chinese New Year as an e-commerce event
Chinese New Year is not only a culturally significant event, but also one of the most lucrative e-commerce holidays. It leads to a significant increase in the tourism, entertainment and luxury goods sectors. With millions of people traveling home for the festivities, preparations begin weeks in advance. This includes cleaning houses, decorating with traditional colors such as red and gold, and giving gifts of money in red envelopes called "hongbao".
Popular product categories and signs of the zodiac
During Chinese New Year, decorative items, food, gifts and fashion in the traditional, lucky colors of red and gold are particularly popular. The year of the zodiac also plays an important role. 2024 is the year of the dragon, so products and marketing campaigns should be aligned with this.
1. start early: start your marketing activities early to be well prepared.
2. visual adaptation: visually adapt your online store and social media profiles - red is the decisive color during the New Year's celebrations.
3. presence on e-commerce platforms: Use major e-commerce platforms in East Asia such as TMall, Lazada, Shopee, AliExpress and Taobao to reach more customers.
4. products related to the zodiac sign: Sell dragon-print items and similar products.
5. quality and brand awareness: Chinese buyers value quality and brands. Emphasize the quality of your products.
6. Discounts and offers: Use enticing discounts and offers to attract customers.
7. themed marketing campaigns: Use themes such as family, tradition and travel to create your marketing campaigns.
8. payment providers: Consider popular payment providers such as AliPay and WeChatPay.
9. social media presence: Use your social media channels to promote user-generated content and achieve a wider reach. As the zodiac sign and date vary every year, marketing via social media is varied and not boring.
10. consider the European market: If you operate in Western Europe, Chinese New Year can be a crucial time of the year, especially in the tourism industry, fine dining and branded products.
Examples of successful marketing campaigns:
- Luxury and premium brands worldwide offer special New Year collections and eye-catching campaigns highlighting the traditional colors of red and gold and dragon motifs.
- JD.com is planning extensive promotions and offers, including a "10 Billion Yuan Discount Day" and a "Super Xiaonian (Lesser New Year) Live Streaming Night".
- Other companies are publishing instructions for homemade traditional Chinese dishes and giving away exclusive discounts in red envelopes to loyal customers.
Conclusion: You shouldn't miss out on this
Chinese New Year offers a unique opportunity for online retailers to increase their sales and position themselves on the market. With the right strategies and products, retailers, both large international companies and regional businesses, can benefit from this festival while honoring the culture and traditions of the Chinese community worldwide. Take advantage of this unique opportunity to make Chinese New Year 2024 a successful business event for you.