The most searched online shopping stores by state
CenturyLinkQuote found Etsy the most searched online store in the nation
With people nationwide using online shopping more than ever in the last year, CenturyLinkQuote has examined, which online-only shopping stores Americans search for most.
The team analyzed Google search volume data and found that Etsy, a small business holy grail, is the second most searched online store in the nation. In 2020, over 4.3 million sellers sold goods through Etsy, and the platform earned a total revenue of $1.7 billion U.S. dollars. Etsy, which bought fashion resale giant Depop in June, is known for selling handmade and vintage items, with 97% of sellers saying that they run their businesses from home. Some of the website’s best selling products in 2021 include: a women’s necklace, custom dog portraits and men’s lingerie.
Furthermore, CentruyLinkQuote has found, which company secured the first place spot. It was Amazon, with 34% of the U.S. searching for the e-commerce giant most. The store was recently named the world’s largest retailer outside of China, surpassing Walmart in terms of sales for the first time ever.
Aditionally, CenturyLinkQuote has found out that:
- Amazon.com was the top site in the most states at 17 and secured a net income of over 21 billion dollars for 2020.
- In 2020, Etsy had over four thousand sellers and was the most searched in nine states.
- A 2020 survey found that 97% of Etsy seller respondents liked being able to sell from their homes, one of the reasons for the site’s large and diverse seller inventory.
- The Skincare company Curology has only been around for seven years, but six states searched for it the most.
- Out of the 13 online shopping stores we looked at, five were popular in only one state—Zappos, ASOS.com, Wayfair, Overstock.com, and eBay.com.
- A global survey from Bazaarvoice found that 74% of people have done less in-person shopping over the past year and a half—a habit that 32% of U.S. shoppers plan to continue in the future.
- Revenue from e-commerce in the U.S. amounted to $431.6 billion U.S. dollars in 2020 and is estimated to increase to $563.4 billion by 2025.