Many details or a simple design, artificial light displays or natural light – there are many ways to showcase window displays. Retailers who decorate with a light touch can use the emotional impact on customers and affect retail business success.
In this iXtenso interview, Annetta Palmisano of Stilbüro bora.herke.palmisano talks about the four holiday decorating styles that will delight us in the coming season and gives tips on how to create retail display windows and use lighting.
Ms. Palmisano, what are the trends for the coming season?
We have identified four different style trends. All of them take a simple and minimalist approach:
- The first style trend features pastel shades. As a result, the decoration follows a neutral, subtle color palette.
- Style trend number two focuses on nature. Inherent natural beauty inspires the decorations and is reflected in the surfaces, which embrace tree-inspired structures and stone effects. They are meant to radiate nature’s simplicity.
- Finding lost joy is the emphasis of the third style trend. This includes childlike and naïve themes and motifs and highlights the joy of children. Tradition is an important concept in this setting and is embodied in classic colors like red and green, which invoke the Christmas spirit, even though everything has a very modern and young vibe.
- The fourth style trend highlights “party time, glitz and glamor”. Decorations are not excessive and flashy, yet there are many striking surfaces, featuring vibrant metallic colors for example. It’s an exciting effect that makes this style trend stand out.
Examples for the four Christmas style trends in our picture gallery:
- 11.06.2019Year after year: Christmas decoration
How are you able to forecast these trends?
We analyze new developments, trends and designs throughout the year and observe everything that happens in design, architecture and many other disciplines. We use this to identify important aspects that are relevant to the market, allowing visitors and observers to understand what the style trends are based on. In doing so, we show direction and offer guidance.
Do this year’s trends differ from last season’s trends?
Yes, there is a difference, though trends don’t change completely from one season to the next. Generally, there are no drastic changes, just some variations to the way things are presented and color choices. There is also a strong emphasis on sustainability and natural simplicity.
What colors should retailers use in their store design this year to stand out?
It’s impossible for us to highlight only one color and would therefore recommend using a complementary color scheme for your designs.
How can retailers use light as a design element?
Retailers should use subtle and diffused light as a design feature and stay away from using light in an obvious and prominent way.
Do homemade decorations make great displays for store windows?
Yes. Many handcrafted decorations, such as embroidered, edge-stitched and felt ornaments create a whimsical and cozy ambiance.
Many decorations feature animals. How is this look perceived?
Many people have pets. They are part of our everyday lives. Designers are inspired by their love of animals and turn this affection into decorative elements. In a way, this also reflects the joy of nature as an idyllic place.
Do you have any tips for retailers on how to use display windows to catch a shopper’s attention?
Display windows are very important for retail stores. Retailers can print out a landscape picture, use it as a backdrop in the display window and stage any type of product in the foreground. No matter which style you choose - whether it's glamorous and festive or simple and restrained - the little affectionate details are always what’s most important. These should always make a connection and reference each other, yet always transport people back to everyday life. That's what truly touches and moves people.